Are you writing an essay by hand?
Blocks provide you with everything you need to build a larger page.
- Do not write past the pink lines into the margins.
- Remember to indent the first line of a new paragraph.
- If writing by hand this will be done by placing the tip of your index finger against the margin and writing on the other side.
- Do not skip a line between paragraphs
- Try to avoid starting multiple lines with the same beginning word. Example: The dogs are brown. The dogs like to play outside. The dogs are big dogs.
- Also, try to avoid using the same word too often, try to change it up by using synonyms of the words (Example – said, explained, commented, replied).
- Try to not change the subject. If you are writing about how balloons are bad for the environment, do go off on a tangent and start talking about how pizza is the best food ever.
Are you typing your essay?
If you are typing your essay, here are some tips:
- First, check with your teacher to see if he/she has a style preference. By style, I mean APA or MLA style. These are manuals that will tell you how to write an essay using their style and will dictate everything from the type of font to how many spaces to put after a period. These are the two most common in academic writing that I have encountered. This is especially going to apply if you are in college or upper-level high school.
- Do not make the text font
If you are writing an essay for school it will usually be 12 pt (size of the font) font,
Times New Roman
… and more often than not it will be Times New Roman.
- The line spacing will be double spaced and you will only print on one side of the page with one-inch margins.
- The margin is the space from the text to the edge of the paper.
- Most academic papers are going to formal, this means you will not use the words, “I, me, we, or you” as these imply a personal experience. This would be fine in an informal paper such as the one I am writing right now or a personal narrative. However, they should be avoided in formal papers because in those you are stating information and facts based on research.
This should get you started on setting up your paper the right way… Now…to start writing.